Assumption: But I Thought They Were Buried in Turlock

In the 1990’s my Uncle Jimmie Griffin was ready to pass on the family genealogy research he was working on. I inherited the binder he had, and it was full of family group sheets. This was during the time when the internet had just begun. I started collecting documents; birth, death, funeral, funeral programs, graduation information and any other documents I could get from family members. I kept anything that marked a family event. I put these items in that binder or file folders I created, then forgot about them. 

At some point I purchased the genealogy software Family Tree Maker. I started inputting the vital records information I had gathered and scanning items into Family Tree Maker. I still kept the paper versions if I had one. As of writing this post I still have A TON of documents I need to scan and update to Family Tree Maker. It’s a never-ending project. 

Since I retired in August 2019, I have been working on my genealogy research and writing skills by documenting family events, telling the story, and starting this blog. I have taken numerous classes, courses, attended institutes and seminars to improve those skills. 

Last week I started writing about my Grandma, Susan Bertha Alice (Landrum) Griffin. I needed to confirm a few dates and thought I’d look in Uncle Jimmie’s binder for the information. I went to the Griffin section and noticed I had funeral programs for both my Great Uncle Johnie Thomas Griffin and his wife Dulsa Wanda (Stewart) Griffin. I didn’t realize I had these! I didn’t know they both passed in 1994 and 4 months apart AND I had assumed they were both buried in Turlock, CA at Turlock Memorial Park! Well, you know what they say about assuming…They were buried at Lakewood Memorial Park (Restland Garden Area), Hughson, CA. 

Goes to show I can’t even trust what I did long ago but not surprised with everything I have learned in the past year and a half. UUUUGGGGGGG….is a do over in my future?

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

05-02-23 Bakersfield to Needles, California 5+ hours

2023-03-25 Saturday Pismo Beach Oceano Campground

June 26 through June 30, 2023 Pismo Beach