Kentucky Wonder Green Beans - Canning with Grandma

My grandparents always grew Kentucky Wonder green beans in the summer. I asked my Grandma one spring if I grew the same beans would she teach me how to can them. Of course, she agreed so I planted lots of Kentucky Wonder green beans. At harvest time we made a date and spent a day canning beans. She walked me through every step. She also told me of a few times the pressure built up and the pot lid would pop off and beans would be everywhere, even on the ceiling. I had heard these stories and I became a bit worried, but she assured me it would not happen. I still was not convinced and kept my eye on the pot. We ended up canning thirty jars that day and I have that wonderful memory of standing at my Grandma’s stove with her.

I joined the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks group with Amy Johnson Crow. I've had a hard time keeping up with this but strive to do better. Wish me luck. 

Copyright © 2021 by Jacqueline Threet Henderson, Jacqueline's Jaunts. All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. Aww! I saw your post on the facebook page. My grandma used to can string beans too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother was afraid to can beans. She was worried about botulism. Tomatoes and jam were a lot safer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

05-02-23 Bakersfield to Needles, California 5+ hours

2023-03-25 Saturday Pismo Beach Oceano Campground

June 26 through June 30, 2023 Pismo Beach