I Finally Visited Eddie


I finally did something I’ve wanted to do for years, visit my Uncle Eddie Griffin’s burial site in San Jose, CA but life just seemed to get in the way. Two months ago, we dropped our motorhome off at Leale’s RV Service Center in south San Jose. Two weeks ago, we went back to tour Leale’s facility and check on the work that is being done. A few days before we left, I mapped the directions to the cemetery, and surprisingly, the service center was only two miles down the road. I think my Uncle was calling me. 

I took numerous photos of his burial site for my records. On the hill behind Eddie’s spot is a Pacific Bell tower. There is a memorial plaque commemorating when my Uncle Top (Columbus Utah Griffin) was killed while working on a Pacific Bell building in downtown San Jose, CA, but that’s a story for another time. I made sure the tower was included in a few of my photos. My mother, Wanda Lue (Griffin) Threet, had no idea the tower was there when she picked out the spot for Eddie. We found out later from my cousin Danny, Uncle Top’s youngest son. 

Eddie passed away April 15, 1988.[1] His memorial service was April 21, 1988 at Oak Hill Memorial Park in the Chapel of Roses building[2].  I remember attending the service. A lot of his friends attended along with most of our family. It was a beautiful service, and the weather cooperated that day. 

Eddie was only 3 years older than me. He was more like a cousin but always reminded his nieces and nephews he was our Uncle. He always carried school photos of each of us in his wallet and told his friends about us. Eddie and I remained close for most of his life. There were times I lived out of state or in Los Angeles, but we would write. If I went back to the bay area for work, I would stay at Grandma and Grandpa’s and we would try to hook up. He lived in San Francisco when he moved out of Grandma and Grandpa’s and at times, I would stay with him. We would bar hop or go to dance clubs….fun times. 

My mom, Uncle Top and Uncle Eddie are all siblings. There is a total of seven siblings in this order, Herbert Ray Griffin (died at the age of 2), Richard Lee Griffin, Columbus Utah Griffin AKA Top, Wanda Lue Griffin AKA Sis, Jimmie Dean Griffin, Reba Jean Griffin and Eddie Griffin (no middle name). I’m glad I finely visited him and now that nagging “thing” in the back of my head is gone. I think he was happy. I do miss him a lot but know he is with a bunch of our family members having a great time. Enjoy Eddie. I love and miss you tremendously. 

Photo is of Eddie, me and my cousin David. I'm guessing it's around 1961-1962. 

[1] San Francisco Department of Public Health, death certificate no 88, Eddie Griffin (d. 15 April 1988); issued to sister Wanda Lou (Griffin) Threet, then passed to her daughter Jacqueline Threet Henderson (Castro Valley, California) 2000. 

[2] Eddie Griffin Funeral Notice, San Jose, California, citing services on 21 April 1988; Jacqueline L. Threet Henderson Personal Papers, 1988---, privately held by Jacqueline L Threet Henderson, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Castro Valley, California. 







Comments

  1. That photograph is just adorable! Glad you were able to finally see his final resting place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

05-02-23 Bakersfield to Needles, California 5+ hours

June 26 through June 30, 2023 Pismo Beach

2023-03-25 Saturday Pismo Beach Oceano Campground