Happy Grandparents Day - Miss Them

There are times I miss my grandparents terribly. They were so much fun. Neither of them had favorites and I always loved visiting them as a child and even as an adult. As a kid I remember my cousins, siblings and I were always with our Grandparents. We were very close to our Grandparents and have many, many, fond memories we talk about even today.

I remember even as a child calling my grandparents to talk to them. My cousins and I knew their phone number by heart. My mom would say, “If you don’t want momma or daddy to know, don’t say anything around Jacqueline.” Mom claimed I would tell Grandma and Grandpa everything even when I became and adult.


The earliest memories I have of my grandparents is when they lived at 1606 White Oaks in San Jose, California. They lived here when my cousins and I were all in grade school. The backyard was dirt and there was a huge oak tree on the left-hand side. Grandma and Grandpa let us dig in the dirt and we would always make these cities with roads and houses. We’d use bricks and rocks to make buildings. We would make women out of hibiscus flowers and my grandparents didn’t care when we picked them. We’d turn them upside down and the flower was like a hoop skirt dress. Our families didn’t have a lot of money, so we didn’t have many toys. We always played outside and I don’t remember any of us ever fighting.


My grandparents always grew Kentucky Wonder green beans in the summer. I asked my Grandma one spring if I grew the same beans would she teach me how to can them. Of course, she agreed so I planted lots of Kentucky Wonder green beans. At harvest time we made a date and spent a day canning beans. She walked me through every step. She also told me of a few times the pressure built up and the pot lid would pop off and beans would be everywhere, even on the ceiling. I had heard these stories and I became a bit worried, but she assured me it would not happen. I still was not convinced and kept my eye on the pressure cooker. We ended up canning thirty jars that day and I have that wonderful memory of standing at my Grandma’s stove with her.

 

Our family use to go on many camping trips during the summer to Lake Shasta, Don Pedro Lake, and Lake Berryessa. At that time there were not official campgrounds. My grandparents had a black and white boat. Grandpa would anchor it off the shore about 50 feet and let us jump off the boat. He never cared if we jumped off the side, back or front. We always had a blast.


I have many more memories of my grandparents but I think the best is not a memory but a feeling of the love I felt from them even when I was not with them. I miss them to this day. 


Happy Grandparents Day Grandma and Grandpa. Love you bunches. 

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

Popular posts from this blog

05-02-23 Bakersfield to Needles, California 5+ hours

June 26 through June 30, 2023 Pismo Beach

2023-03-25 Saturday Pismo Beach Oceano Campground